Saturday, March 3, 2007

Jr. Girls week 1963


Remember to click for a closer view. This is the picture I remember best-- must have been a memorable week. 1:3 Priscilla Leitze 1:7 Carolyn Stever 1:12 Jackie Greenlee 1:15 Carla Underwood 1:16 Janet Murphy 2:3 Carla Patton 2:5 Kathy Boudouris 2:7 Charlotte Richison 2:8 Janet Boyle (thanks for the info, Charlotte!)2:11 Janet Gum 2:20 Diane Jackson, the short lady to left of rows 3/4 Jeanette Leitze, the young woman in white over Mrs. Leitze's left shoulder looks like Becky Huck without glasses, 3:8 Debbie Vogan 3:10Marilyn Carter 3:16 Debbie Rush 3:17 Vicky Kleinik, 3:18 Helen Talbot. A couple of people at the left are between 3 and 4. 4:2 Art Leitze 4:5 Linda Hill 4:6 Susan Hentz 4:9 Cathy Opperman ? 4:10 Cindy Huffman 4:12 Debbie ? 4:16 Robin R? 5:1 Bob Fritz 5:2 Debbie May 5:6 Gwen Schmidt 5:11Jan Foutch 6:1 Janet Thornburg 6:14 Margaret Iberg 6:15 Paula Bush 7:1 Lois Fritz, 7:5 Sandi Heston 7:7 Deb Fritz 7:8 Janet Greenlee 7:9 Linda Gehrig 7:15 Grace Boldt. (The numbering on those back rows is messy so if you count differently just look for those you recognize.)
Sandi Heston at first said she didn't think she was in this pic, then later recalled, "7:5 is Me! I worked this week as faculty. I got a call from Frank Bush on Saturday morning, before camp started on Sunday(!!) asking if I could teach a class. The woman who was scheduled to teach it had been in a serious car accident. I said yes...and then quickly had to do laundry and get ready for camp. Had lots of ironing to do...all those cotton clothes... no permament press back then! I remember the class I taught was on "The Miracles of Jesus". And it seemed to me a miracle that I, at 16 & not a lot older than the girls I was teaching, somehow got treated like an adult by them!It was a fun week, the kids were great, and it was fun to be on the "other side" of things. I had a greater appreciation for our faculty when I went to H.S. and Life Recruit weeks later on that summer!!Becky Huck was the song leader that week and I think that is her (minus her glasses) in the white dress, third one in from the left on the 3rd row. I Remember Deb Fritz being kitchen help that week and Bob and Lois being there on faculty too.Great memories!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved this photo! Maybe because this was one of my favorite weeks! My parents were part of the faculty and I worked in the dining hall and canteen. More friends than I can count were campers ... especially all those Greenville girls! I can add a few names (I think!) 1:3 Priscilla Leitze, 1:12 Jackie Greenlee, 1:16 ?Janet Murphy,2:20 Diane Jackson, short lady to the left at row 3 Jeanette Leitze.4:9 ?Cathy Opperman?, 4:12 ?Debbie Vogan?, 4:16 Robin R??, 5:6 Gwen Schmidt, 6:1 Janet Thornburg . There are many other faces that look familiar but?!?!? .... I am to old to remember!

Anonymous said...

7:5 is Me! I worked this week as faculty. I got a call from Frank Bush on Saturday morning, before camp started on Sunday(!!) asking if I could teach a class. The woman who was scheduled to teach it had been in a serious car accident. I said yes...and then quickly had to do laundry and get ready for camp. Had lots of ironing to do...all those cotton clothes... no permament press back then!

I remember the class I taught was on "The Miracles of Jesus". And it seemed to me a miracle that I, at 16 & not a lot older than the girls I was teaching, somehow got treated like an adult by them!

It was a fun week, the kids were great, and it was fun to be on the "other side" of things. I had a greater appreciation for our faculty when I went to H.S. and Life Recruit weeks later on that summer!!

Becky Huck was the song leader that week and I think that is her (minus her glasses) in the white dress, third one in from the left on the 3rd row.

I Remember Deb Fritz being kitchen help that week and Bob and Lois being there on faculty too.

Great memories!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's Cathy Opperman, the 7th little girl in that row.
Jan Foutch is in the row with Bob Fritz, she's the 10th little girl.
Debbie Vogan is the 7th little girl in row 3.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.