Friday, February 23, 2007

BOX HOCKEY

These photos date from the 50's to the 60's and that cute little blonde is from the 90's! Box hockey is a game that has remained a constant in the 50 + years of the camp. The original games where built by Frank Bush and several others (including Evan Lockwood of Bethalto). They were patched and reworked many times over the years and completely new ones where built in 1986 by Gary Monroe (father of the blonde!)

Were you a box hockey champion? Do you have a great box hockey story? How about battle scars from swinging the "sticks"?

Also if you know any of these players let us know!










These two young men are Andy Fritz (in the blue and blue... son of Rob Fritz) and Josh Monroe (son of Deb Fritz Monroe)






Does anyone know who Pop is playing with?











Even the girls got to play!
Lynne Gurley said..Sure looks like Carol Gurley walking with her head down.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, what do you mean "even the girls?" I know I beat a boy or two in my time -- and you are much more competitive than I. Had to be tongue in cheek to say such a thing!

Anonymous said...

I guess the dry humor of that one does not come across well in "print". But I think is you recall ... it was not always easy for us girls to get our hands on a stick when a hoard of guys were trying to determine a champ for the day! Yes, I beat my share of boys and then some!

Anonymous said...

Remember the old sticks -- before the ax handles? That first shot the boys are playing with what look like broken sticks to me. I remember one time I was there when we got brand new ax handles. What a treat. No splinters or anything.

Anonymous said...

Sure looks like Carol Gurley walking with her head down.