Friday, March 9, 2007

Heston strikes out -- 1963

So many memories on the ballfield. Mike Heston at bat. Gil Schreiber is in the Camp shirt on left; to the right of Mike (kid by backstop) is Paul Sidwell; next right, kid leaning on bat, is "Heavy" McFarland.

Following is Mike Heston's recollection of this game :
From the stunned expression on my face and the delighted smirks on Paul Sidwell’s and Heavy McFarland’s faces, it would appear that I have just struck out in a student - faculty game. I remember that game. It was the first time since I was in Jr. Hi that the students had beaten the faculty. It was a sad day in Mudville--for Danny Williams and I to end our lustrous careers in disgrace. Fortunately, we both recovered and went on to greater things.

In the ball field picture, the blond guy next to Heavy McFarland is Carl Bell. He is the brother of Bonnie and Sandy Bell (both older). The last time I saw Carl was the 4th of July 1963. Danny Williams and I had just been ejected from the Fox Theater in St. Louis. As we came out, there was a long line forming for the next show and Carl was in the line. We spoke but explained nothing; although, it was evident from his expression that he suspected something of a nefarious nature. Gentlemen, as you know, never explain anything.

Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gil Schreiber in Camp shirt on left;
right of Mike, kid by backstop, is Paul Sidwell; next right, Kid leaning on bat, is "Heavy" McFarland.

Anonymous said...

I think that's Susie Pope (from Ramsey) to the left of Mike Heston,looking through the backstop wire.